A viable alternative to solvent-based bonding agents for rubber-to-metal anti-vibration applications is now available from Dow. The new generation of MEGUM™ water-based primer and cover coat systems provides outstanding performance – equal to solvent-based formulations – with significantly reduced VOCs – all at a competitive cost.
“Making products with a lower environmental impact without sacrificing performance is a proud achievement,” said Dr. Stefan Dehnicke, global technology manager – Specialty Adhesives at Dow Automotive. “A 75 percent water-based formulation allows the possibility for new optimized manufacturing footprints with no atmospheric pollution. This accomplishment sets a new standard in rubber-to-metal bonding, including dynamically challenging applications.”
MEGUM™ water-based bonding agents are available as both primer and cover products that can be used together or separately. Product advantages include:
- Bond strength fully compatible to solvent-based systems on natural rubber, NBR, HNBR and EPDM.
- Excellent performance in dynamic real parts testing with EPDM – at the same levels as used for solvent-based standards
- High salt-spray and corrosion resistance
- High solids, low viscosity with the opportunity to spare dilution
- Advantaged economics versus solvent-based agents
- High flexibility, water-based primer MEGUM W 9300