Save to read list
Dow has announced plans to build an integrated MDI distillation and prepolymers facility at its world-scale manufacturing site in Freeport, Texas, US.
This investment supports increasing demand for downstream polyurethane systems products.
The new Freeport MDI facility will replace Dow’s current North America capacity in La Porte, Texas, and will also be capable of supplying an additional 30% of product to Dow’s customers. In coordination with the start-up of the new MDI facility, expected in 2023, Dow will shut down its polyurethane assets at the La Porte site.
“This MDI investment optimises our existing asset infrastructure and enhances our global polyurethanes leadership position, further enabling us to support downstream systems customers’ growth,” said Jane Palmieri, President of Dow’s Industrial Intermediates & Infrastructure operating segment. “The back integration at the Freeport site creates a cost competitive supply of key upstream polyurethane raw materials, ensures a reliable supply position to support our growth in downstream high-value polyurethane markets and delivers a more sustainable production process.”
The new facility in Freeport will reduce Dow’s carbon footprint and water usage by:
- Eliminating the need for the generation of thermal power by utilising existing thermal energy from the Freeport site.
- Reducing water intake and wastewater discharge (through production efficiencies).
- Eliminating the need for transport of raw materials.
YOUR SUPPORT IS CRITICAL TO KEEP PCE ALIVE
WITHOUT YOU, THERE CAN BE NO PCE. The aim of PCE is to provide you all information about Paints and Coatings Industry. Even the smallest amount of support is hugely appreciated. It is not necessary to be registered on PayPal to use this service. Thanks in advance!
Note to readers:
- Please follow us on LinkedIn ,Twitter and YouTube and subscribe to our website and receive notifications of new posts by email.
- Please click the share buttons below and make a comment.